Exactly two months from today is the Chicago Marathon!
This dawned on me last week and today (actually tomorrow) marks my first official day of training. I had plans on beginning training with an awesome workout today but I’ve been sick in bed the past two days and decided it would be best to let my body fully recover before I start making crazy demands of it.
Last week I was able to get in three quality workouts– two runs and two good strength sessions. An article from Runner’s World that I read this summer suggests that when overcoming IT band issues, strengthening exercises are as beneficial, if not more, than solely running. My injury allowed me a lot of time to think of areas that I need to improve if I want to continue running:
- Strengthening weak muscle groups (GLUTES, hamstrings, quads, core). Yes my legs are strong but those are my biggest weak spots. It’s silly that I will spend 2-4 hours any given Saturday but wouldn’t justify devoting 30 minutes to work out my weaker muscle groups
- Stretching…sometimes I just get too lazy to stretch adequately. I can try to push it off and blame being busy, etc. but this is really something I need to make a priority
This is an awesome workout that I found off of Pinterest of all places, it looked easy enough on paper, but I hadn’t actually thought out the workout before I did it. The first day I did just ONE set of this workout and was walking funny for three days. I have a new goal of being able to do the entire workout, all three sets, without stopping.
Genius me just realized I did 50 each of the lunges. Maybe that’s why I was so sore…
Other things I am going to be working on–
- Actually following my training schedule! I will not lie, it has been hard motivating myself to get out to run/to the gym since being out of a routine for most of the summer. With my plan in place and cooler temperatures this week, I’m hoping that will make it much easier to kick myself into gear.
- Keeping my goal in perspective–I want to finish Chicago and Kansas City and do both well.
- Not getting discouraged–a 6 week break from consistent running bogged me down, but it’s what my body needed. I am just hoping and praying that since my body had become very accustomed to higher mileage, that it won’t go totally bazooka on me in the next few weeks.
This week’s training includes:
Wednesday- 5-6 miles, easy
Thursday- Cross train + Strength Train
Friday- Rest or Zumba
Saturday- 10 miles
I’ve also been working on some fun shirt ideas to raise money for Girls on the Run/Chicago fundraising efforts…keep your eyes peeled!!! If you or anyone you know wants to donate, send them HERE!!!
I’ll have a report come this weekend on how training actually went