Here we are, sitting at 38.5 weeks pregnant and the end/D-Day/our baby’s birth is in sight! I feel like now would be an appropriate time for me to do a little reflection on this pregnancy…
- I ate a lot of sushi while pregnant. Like more times than I can count. Granted, I was not eating raw fish (I made sure the sushi I did eat was cooked) but I feel like ‘NO SUSHI’ is a pregnancy rule that I so obviously broke. As a matter of fact, girls’ sushi nights helped me maintain some sanity while with child.
- I have eaten more pizza in the past 38.5 weeks than I have in my entire adulthood. In my first trimester, pizza was all I truly wanted in life. Shortly after I entered trimester #2 I forced myself to eat healthier but I still would enjoy pizza on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. Haters gonna hate.
- Cheese. Since about week 20 cheese is my ‘can’t get enough of’ food. Right along there with pizza.
- While on the subject of food– I feel like my childhood food preferences made a very strong resurgence. Hot dogs and macaroni and cheese were another big craving and a food I hadn’t eaten since I was like 9. While indulging in my cravings I did so mindfully–Annie’s Organic Mac & Cheese was my preferred mac and cheese (sometimes I would even mix broccoli in it! Don’t knock it until you try it) and when I wanted hot dogs, I would buy Hebrew National and eat it without a bun. Also as of recently–sandwiches. I have had at least one sandwich every day for the past 4-5 days, I’ve lost count.
- When I hit 35 weeks my belly hit a point where it decided to grow exponentially. This required me to buy some long maternity tank tops which seemed totally silly with just a month left of pregnancy, but those darn tank tops have saved me. Without them, I would be walking around with either my belly hanging out or the super sexy stretchy maternity high-waisted waistband hanging out for all to see.
- At approximately 37 weeks my body decided it would be a good time to start swelling. I made it almost NINE WHOLE MONTHS without swelling, then all of a sudden my body wants to look like the Michelin tire man. I can’t wear my wedding rings, I can barely wear my shoes (the ones I had to go up a size to thankyouverymuch) and my face is all kinds of puffy. Not cool.
- My husband has to help me put on my shoes. I almost passed out trying to put on my shoes a couple of weeks ago (husband had already left for work) and I sent him a text telling him that he was no longer allowed to leave the house if I was not wearing shoes because I could not accomplish that task alone.
- Coffee/caffeine has helped keep me sane for over half of this pregnancy. I couldn’t stomach coffee from about weeks 8-20, then I needed coffee to survive weeks 20-30, then I wanted nothing to do with the beverage again. I’m back to drinking coffee (decaf) about 3-4 times a week.
- I thought I had a ‘bump’ at 30 weeks and I WAS SO WRONG! Why didn’t anyone tell me I was wrong?! Here’s a comparison–
30 weeks. I would venture to call this skinny. THIS IS NOT A BELLY.
- Back to confessions. I’m totes getting an epidural for the birth. This is a common question and I am unashamed to admit that I will not be going ‘drug free.’ It didn’t even cross my mind. This kid is coming out of my body one way or the other and I have no desire to feel all of that stuff going on.
- It’s going to be weird not having a giant belly after this baby is born. I can’t really fathom what it will be like or feel like to not have this thing attached to my front in a couple of weeks.
- I haven’t loved pregnancy and I haven’t hated it either. I am blessed to have had a relatively boring, healthy pregnancy but it is BY FAR not my favorite thing in the world. Some ladies love being pregnant and while I’m sure I will miss it at some point (maybe…) I’m ready to evict this little fella.
- I never thought I would be ‘ready’ for our baby to get here, but I’m totally ready. Mentally and physically I am ready for this little guy to be on the outside!